Michiel De Cleene
Lisa Van Damme
The shortlist of the first Ghent Architecture Prize is known. Twenty finalists were selected from more than 120 project submissions. The level of quality of the entries is very high. It was therefore extremely difficult to arrive at a selection of 20. A public jury of 25 inhabitants of Ghent and a professional jury led by Ghent architect Marie-José Van Hee now have the even more difficult task of making a selection from these qualitative projects. The winners will be announced on 17 October 2021. The new Prize for Architecture aims to put Ghent in the spotlight as a city of architecture and to stimulate the debate on architecture in the city. The prize is an initiative of the City of Ghent, the city architect and Archipel vzw, in cooperation with the Ghent Architecture Platform, and is awarded every three years.
On Architecture Day, we will take our bicycles and see what the harvest of the call for entries has brought. During 2 hours and 30 minutes we will pass by a dozen projects, to see how they support the importance of the quality of our living environment, how design talent and daring commissioning contribute to the future of our city.
The 20 nominees:
- Stadsgebouw Melopee, Gent | designer: XDGA – Xaveer De Geyter Architecten | client: sogent
- Mixed residential project De Nieuwe Dokken – DEK, Ghent | designed by BLAF architects – Onix – eld | client Schipperskaai Development
- Housing tower Stapelplein, Ghent | designer: 360 architects | client: Adelaar Projects (Urban Link, Acasa)
- Kapitein Zeppospark, Ghent | designer: Stad Gent | client: Stad Gent
- Company building G1812 for Lab15, Ghent | designer: GAFPA bureau for architecture and urban development | client: Lab 15
- Social housing Nekkersput, renovation and new building, Ghent Designers: DBLV Dierendonck-Blancke-Lust-Van De Ginste Principals: SHM De Gentse Haard
- Company building Ryhove, Ghent | designer: TRANS architecture | urban development | client: Ryhove VZW
- Basisschool het Eiland and Circuskerk Malem, city atelier Low, renovation and new building, Ghent | designer: NERO architectuur en stedenbouw, PLANO Architecten, Elly Van Eeghem | client: Stad Gent, Circusplaneet VZW
- Kunsthal Gent, spatial intervention, Ghent | designer: Olivier Goethals | client: Kunsthal Gent
- Broei Duivelsteen, spatial intervention, reconversion, Ghent | designer: ConstructLab | client: BROEI
- Stadsbibliotheek De Krook, Ghent | designer: Coussée & Goris architecten / RCR Aranda Pigem Vilalta arquitectes | client: CVBA Waalse Krook
- Boekentoren, Universiteitsbibliotheek, renovation project, Ghent | designer: Robbrecht & Daem architects, BARO, SumProject, Barbara Van der Wee | client: Universiteit Gent
- Music Centre De Bijloke, renovation project, Ghent | Designers: DRDH Architects, Julian Harrap Architects, ABT, Arup, RCR, Studio Helder | Client: Music Centre De Bijloke
- House Halewijnkouter, reconversion, Drongen | designer: RAAMWERK, collective for architecture, urbanism and scenography bv | private client
- Parkbosbruggen (Andre Denys bridge and Zoe Borluut bridge), reconstruction of public space, Ghent | designer: Bureau d’études Greisch | client: City of Ghent, AWV, Province of East Flanders, Municipality of De Pinte, Municipality of Sint-Martens-Latem
- Corner house with roof gardens, Ledeberg | designer: STUDIOLO architectuur | private client
- Community centre Standaertsite, reconversion, Ledeberg | Designers: ae-architects, murmuur architecten, carton123, H110 architecten en ingenieurs, Atelier Arne Deruyter, Atelier Marc Nagtzaam | Client: sogent
- House Wolters, refurbishment, Sint-Amandsberg | Designers: Tim Peeters Architects | Private client
- Youth Centre De Wasserette, Ghent | Architectural office Bart Dehaene, Peter Geldof | Client: City of Ghent
- Art house Timelab, renovation, Ghent | designer: a2o | client: Timelab
All information on the nominated projects can be found here.
The selection of projects for the cycling tour will be announced shortly. The choice is not a ranking in value judgments, but a choice in feasibility to visit a large number of projects within the time span of the bicycle tour, which not only show their strengths, but also show what lines the city of Ghent has set out the last three years and what is alive in Ghent.